(954) 676-4179

Call to Discuss Your Case


Let's Schedule a Time to Talk

Florida Property Claim Lawyer - Louis Law Group

The Importance of Having Flood Insurance

Homeowners insurance and renters insurance do not typically cover flood damage. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) helps reduce the impact of flooding for renters, property owners, and businesses. Even if you live in an area that is not at high risk of flooding, you may still be required to have flood insurance.

How to Apply for Flood Insurance

  • Find out if your community participates in the program. You can only purchase a flood insurance policy if you’re a renter, homeowner, or business owner, and your property is located in an NFIP participating community.
  • Contact an insurance agent in your area. You can only buy flood insurance through an insurance agent; you cannot buy it directly from the federal government. If your local insurance agent is unfamiliar with the NFIP, you can find an agent serving your area by calling the NFIP Help Center at 1-800-427-4661.

What Flood Insurance Covers and Other Things You Should Know

  • There are two types of flood insurance coverage: building property and personal property (contents). Flood insurance only covers physical damage to your building or personal property directly caused by a flood. The NFIP advises that you buy both types of coverage.
  • Rates are set nationally and do not differ from company to company or agent to agent. These rates depend on many factors, such as the  date and type of construction of your home and your building’s level of risk.
  • Typically, there’s a 30-day waiting period from the date of purchase before your policy goes into effect.
  • All National Flood Insurance policies include a congressionally-mandated surcharge. If your community participates in the Community Rating System, you may qualify for an insurance premium discount.
  • Contact your flood insurance agent to make changes to, pay for, or renew your policy. If your mortgage lender requires you to have flood insurance, ask them questions about renewing or changing your policy.
  • Learn how to prepare for and recover from disasters and emergencies.

File a Complaint

If you have a problem with an insurance company or agent regarding flood insurance, contact the company first. If you cannot find a solution, contact your state insurance regulator. The Louis Law Group is happy to help you recover your losses. Contact Louis Law Group today, call (954) 676-4179.

Call Now Button