Living in Florida means residents are prone to tropical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Storms can cause severe physical damage to the roof, windows, and other external structures of your home. Storms and strong winds can also lead to water leaks to the inside of your home, damaging furniture, carpets, wood floors, and walls. Wind and storm damages can ruin your quality of life and create unnecessary stress.
Thunderstorms, tornadoes, hailstorms, and hurricanes can tear shingles from your roof and give your roof a beating with tree branches. Angie’s list offers these helpful tips to check for storm damage to your roof:
- Inspect your attic for leaks or water damage.
- Look for signs of storm damage from the ground. Check for missing shingles or missing pieces of metal fascia, including any metal pieces displaced from around your chimney.
- You’ll notice if a tree fell on your roof. If so, stay out of your home until a professional can determine whether any structural damage occurred. Consider hiring a general contractor or roofer with a general contractor’s license if your home suffered structural damage, as you’ll need more than roof repairs.
- If the storm produced hail, check for roof damage as well as siding damage. Hail damage commonly comes in the form of dimples, made by smaller chunks of hail that pound the outer layer of shingles.
- Stay safe — avoid going on the roof to check for the damage yourself and instead contact a professional roofer.
Why You Need An Insurance Lawyer
Accurately identifying and addressing underlying structural and non-cosmetic issues caused by wind and storm damage typically requires an experienced professional. Often, Florida insurance companies do not act in your best interest when evaluating your loss. Instead, they minimize or deny your claim. That is why you need an attorney by your side. The Louis Law Group can assist property owners with new claims, underpaid claims, and denied coverage claims.
Contact the Louis Law Group
The wind damage insurance claims attorneys at the Louis Law Group always apply our thorough legal knowledge to each unique case. If you need help with recovering any losses resulting from wind and storm damages, please contact us for a free consultation.