(954) 676-4179

Call to Discuss Your Case


Let's Schedule a Time to Talk

Someone Was Injured While On My Property – Am I Covered?

Someone Was Injured While On My Property - Am I Covered - LLG

You do your best to maintain and keep your property safe. You may have even put up a sign to warn guests of potential dangers. Despite your best efforts, though, someone has become injured while on your property.

When someone is injured while on your property, you may be at risk of being sued. As a result, you may be on the hook for legal fees, medical bills, and lost wages. If you are like most property owners, then your first thoughts will be centered around the well-being of the person that was injured. Your next thought may concern whether your property insurance will provide you with coverage. Here’s more on when a guest suffers an injury while on your property and how your property insurance can protect you in these situations.

Premises Liability Explained

You may have heard the phrase premises liability used in connection with a lawyer or their services. A premises liability claim is any lawsuit based on injuries or other damages that were suffered while on someone else’s property. This includes slip and falls, dog bites, failure to maintain, and other incidents that cause injuries while on another’s property. You may even be sued under premises liability for criminal acts that occurred on your property. All these claims can be worth a significant amount of money, depending on the severity of the injuries.

Will My Property Insurance Cover A Premises Liability Claim?

Most standard property insurance policies will cover the costs associated with a premises liability claim. What this means is that if someone sues you for injuries suffered while on your property, then you should be able to make a claim under your policy. This should include covering the costs of the injured party’s medical bills and your legal fees. As with any insurance claim, you will need to go over your policy to understand what is covered and to what extent.

Most property insurance policies have policy limits on how much will be covered. So if you are being sued for $100,000 and you incur legal fees of $50,000, your policy limit must at least be $150,000 to cover the costs associated with the premises liability claim brought against you.

It is important to understand that property insurance may only provide coverage for injuries a guest suffered while on your property under certain situations. What this means is that not all injuries will be covered. For example, if after a few drinks you get into a physical confrontation with a guest that results in injuries, then you will likely not be able to get coverage to pay for their medical bills. Similarly, if there is a known dangerous condition on your property that you have simply refused to address, it may be difficult to get your claim approved if a guest becomes injured because of that dangerous condition.

I Received Notice Of A Premises Liability Lawsuit Filed Against Me – What Should I Do?

If you have been served with legal documents concerning a premises liability claim, then you will likely have a set number of days to respond. If you do not respond, then you may have a judgment entered against you and be held liable for the claim. What this means is that ignoring court documents could result in you owing large sums of money and being at risk of having your wages garnished.

Once you receive court papers, you must act quickly. It is recommended that you contact your insurance company as soon as you receive notice of the lawsuit. You may also want to consult with a lawyer who is familiar with property insurance and premises liability claims. Additionally, if the lawsuit was the result of injuries suffered while on your property due to a dangerous condition, you will want to repair or eliminate that condition to prevent future injuries and protect yourself from further lawsuits.

Florida Property Insurance Claims Attorneys

The property insurance claims lawyers at The Louis Law Group can guide you through legal issues relating to your property insurance company. Reach out to us today for a free consultation by calling (954) 676-4179 or contacting us online.

Call Now Button