(954) 676-4179

Call to Discuss Your Case


Let's Schedule a Time to Talk

Steps to Keep Your Flood Damage Claim Moving Forward

Florida Property Claim Lawyer - Louis Law Group

If water causes extensive damage to your home, it’s critical that you file the correct insurance claim. But do you file a water damage insurance claim or a flood claim? While both sound similar and, to your eyes, the damage is the same, your insurance provider sees each one differently. Knowing the distinctions will help you file the correct claim and not have to worry about your insurer denying your request.

Flood Damage

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) defines a flood as a temporary or general condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres, or two or more properties of normally dry land. Flood damage can only be caused by the following:

  • Overflow of tidal or inland waters
  • Rapid and unusual accumulation or runoff of water surfaces from any source
  • The collapse of land near a shore or a lake or other body of water due to erosion or caused by waves or currents that result in a flood.

Any damage to your home caused by these sources would constitute flood damage. In this case, you will need to file a flood damage claim with your flood insurance provider.

Water Damage

For this type of claim, the water damage is the result of causes inside the home, such as broken pipes, burst water mains, broken toilets, damaged washing-machine hoses, overflowing bathtubs, and flash floods. Start the claim process by filing with your homeowner’s insurance company as soon as possible.

Keep Protection from Both

Home insurance companies don’t offer flood insurance. This is something you’ll need from another vendor. If you have coverage for floods through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), you’ll be able to file a flood insurance claim.

Before filing any claim, it’s essential to consult with a professional public adjuster. They can help you gauge the type of claim you’ll need to file and the scope of the damage. Unlike other claims, a flood claim can be challenging to navigate, as they require special consideration and care.

Take these steps to keep your flood claim moving forward with your insurance company:

  • Verify that you have a flood insurance policy with the correct provider.
  • Contact your local broker or agent for a certified copy of your flood insurance policy. Do this for any other policy you have.
  • Obtain estimates of the costs of restoring or rebuilding your home and property.
  • Submit a Notice of Loss through the NFIP as soon as you can.
  • Complete a Proof of Loss within a couple of months. A public adjuster can ensure you avoid any mistakes or omissions that may hinder your claim.
  • Ask your adjuster any questions or raise any concerns you may have.


Unfortunately, many insurance claims are underpaid or denied, which leaves many people without their deserved settlements. Flood insurance companies, along with their adjusters, may argue that the flood damage was the result of a storm or wind, and not from the flood.

This can cause undue stress to you and your family. If your claim was either underpaid or denied, an experienced and knowledgeable property claims attorney can help you get the settlement you deserve. Contact Louis Law Group at (954) 676-4179 for a free no-obligation consultation or case evaluation. We can answer your questions and let you know if we can help you get the money you need to repair or rebuild your home.

Call Now Button