(954) 676-4179

Call to Discuss Your Case


Let's Schedule a Time to Talk

Theft and Vandalism Insurance Claims Lawyer in Florida

Vandalism and Theft Insurance Claims Lawyer in Florida

After a theft or burglary, the loss of stolen or damaged property and the violation of your privacy can leave a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. However, you may soon find other headaches arise from burglary, vandalism, and theft claims as well. One of those is that the perils are listed separately on Florida homeowners’ policies. Which means if you do not file the claim correctly, you could find yourself paying separate deductibles for one event, or have your claim denied.

Why You Need An Insurance Attorney

Insurance policies are written in legal and industry-specific terms which can make it hard for those on the outside to understand. However, the claims experts at the Louis Law Group are well-versed in insurance policy terminology. We can assist policyholders properly file claims to recover benefits for items and address property damage inflicted as a result of a burglary, theft, or vandalism.

According to the Florida Association of Insurance Agents, the definition of burglary, robbery, and theft are as follows:

  • Burglary – Felonious abstraction from premises, breaking and entering, visible marks on the exterior at the place of entry.
  • Robbery – Forcible taking from a person by violence or fear of violence, including unconsciousness or death.
  • Theft – Includes any act of stealing; broader than “burglary” and “robbery.”

These definitions have a direct connection in terms of the triggering insurance coverage under a standard homeowners’ insurance policy. Many Florida homeowners’ policies have built-in coverages for commonly stolen items, but there is a limit that the policy may pay out.

Those items are:

  1. Cash, money, and coins.
  2. Personal record, passports, credit cards, securities, account information, deeds, tickets, and stamps.
  3. Jewelry, watches, furs, precious, and semi-precious stones when lost by theft.
  4. Firearms and related equipment.
  5. Gold and silverware.
  6. Property used for your business. These limits are essential for anyone who works from home.
  7. Mobile devices, tablets, computers, gaming devices, software, and sporting equipment.

Contact the Louis Law Group

Did your Florida insurance carrier deny your theft claim or only pay a small portion of what is owed to you? Contact us today, call (954) 676-4179 for a free consultation.

We help clients with theft and vandalism property claims throughout Florida

Map of Florida
Map of the State of Florida
"The Sunshine State"

If your property is located anywhere in the State of Florida and has been vandalized, the Louis Law Group can help you with an existing vandalism or theft claim or with filing a new claim against your homeowner's insurance company. Call (954) 676-4179 for a free consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What do I do when my property is stolen and damaged in Florida?

First, you will need to contact your agent or homeowner’s insurance company as soon as possible. You will also need to notify the police immediately before calling your insurance company. If there is any damage to your home or possessions during the theft, or if you need to make some “emergency” repairs” to protect you and your family from further theft or damage, your policy may cover the cost of these emergency measures. Before making repairs, contact your insurance company. It is the insurance company’s right to inspect the property in its damaged condition.

What happens after I file a homeowner’s theft claim in Florida?

After you file a claim, the insurance company will review your policy, or a claims associate may visit your home to assess the damages. You’ll be asked to provide the following:

  • Personal contact information.
  • Dates and details of the theft along with police report number.
  • A list of damaged or stolen items.

By providing a list of your items, you will help the claims process move faster. This list should include:

  • Where and when you purchased the item.
  • The item’s cost.
  • Brand and model of the item.
  • Copy of purchase receipts if you have these available. If possible, copies of photos or videos of the stolen or damaged items will also help.

Should I file a police report if my property damage was the result of a crime in Florida?

It’s essential to contact the police in any cases where the law was violated. Some examples would be theft, vandalism, or even suspected arson. Once you do this, contact your homeowner’s insurance agent, and they’ll assign an adjuster to that will follow up to answer any questions and collect additional information as needed. Many policies will cover items within your home due to theft. Review your policy as there may be limitations.

Call Now Button